IT Project Manager
About the Team
The role is within our client’s Enterprise Solutions and Technology business line, within the Data Centre Program which is part of the User and Technology Services Branch. The role will report to the Data Centre Build Program Manager and will be responsible for delivering key project outcomes. The Data Centre Program comprises approximately 6 staff as well as key service providers managing a suite of key complex infrastructure and application-related projects, covering many disciplines of IT as they relate to traditional On-premise and Cloud use.
About the Role
The Data Centre Program is responsible for delivering a large program of work to relocate the two ATO Data Centres to new facilities and move to a new target state infrastructure from Development through to Production. This will improve application delivery lifecycle management and enable agile development.
These Project Manager roles will have experience in leading infrastructure projects in a large and complex IT environment. They will foster and maintain relationships with vendor and ATO Project Managers to deliver the outcomes of the program.
The ideal candidates will have good people skills but also have clear system development and Software Development Lifecycle knowledge of both agile and waterfall methodologies in an infrastructure environment. They will use their expertise to manage risks, issues and set the strategic direction of a team while building staff capability and creating a positive culture. They will be proactive and understand how to escalate issues appropriately and achieve outcomes. The candidate will have strong communication and negotiations skills and be able to articulate complex information appropriately to business partners to influence outcomes.
These Project Managers will manage and coordinate a series of interrelated projects and activities and will need to assess dependencies, issues and risks, and impacts of project activities on the ATO’s operations and provide recommendations to other stakeholders.
The role will benefit from building productive working relationships within and between the program and project stakeholders. Applying IT project management methodologies to ensure the execution of project plans, working under pressure to meet deadlines, whilst looking ahead to position the project for success. Other demands of this role include the production of quality project documentation, effective client and stakeholder engagement.
- The Project Manager will initiate, establish and implement project scope using strong project management practices and relationships skills.
- Provide authoritative and expert advice to assure products are delivered in line with scope, requirements and project management methodologies.
- Develop and lead the implementation of strategies and solutions to address IT project management risks, issues and dependencies which may not have established precedents or guidelines, to ensure the achievement of planned business outcomes.
- Oversee the coordination of a series of interrelated IT projects and activities, assess the impacts of project activities on the ATO’s operations and ensure a smooth transition to business as usual.
- Two or more years of project management experience in IT.
- Project Management or PMP certifications are desirable.
- Thrives in a collaborative environment.
- Excellent communications skills, with customers, team and stakeholders.